
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – The U.S. Senate has voted to confirm Pete Hegseth as defense secretary in a nail-biting-vote following fierce opposition from Democrats and even some Republicans toward him after allegations of misconduct.
Hegseth was confirmed in a 50-50 vote when Vice President JD Vance came to the chamber to break the tie in his role as president of the Senate. Vance’s crucial move came after three Republicans joined every Democrat and independent in voting “no.”
At the same time, U.S. President Donald Trump arrived in Los Angeles to tour the wildfire devastation as fires once again threatened the nation’s second-largest city, where thousands have been told to evacuate.
Earlier in the day, during North Carolina’s hurricane recovery, Trump pledged to sign an “executive order to begin the process of fundamentally reforming and overhauling FEMA, or maybe getting rid of them.”
He later added of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s future: “We’re going to recommend that FEMA go away” as part of his broader plan to make the government more efficient and effective.
Trump expects similar policies from the U.S. defense secretary.
MISCONDUCT ALLEGATIONS
Yet his appointment was rocked by a series of misconduct accusations.
The latest came this week from his former sister-in-law, who claimed he abused his second wife to the extent that she hid in a closet.
She allegedly had “a code word to use”’ with friends if she had to be rescued.
Hegseth has vehemently denied the accusations, and even his wife had previously denied any physical abuse.
The 44-year-old former Fox News television host’s appointment as defense secretary marks a dramatic political shift in the United States national security policy and leadership.
Hegseth will lead 1.3 million active-duty service members and the nearly 1 million civilians who work for the U.S. military, which has an almost $1 trillion annual budget, more than any other nation.
CRITICAL REPUBLICANS
Critics say Hegseth admitted to lawmakers that so far, the largest group he had managed was 100 people, and the largest budget was $16 million.
Among the critics were three Republican senators who voted against Hegseth, including Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins, and Mitch McConnell, who was the party’s Senate leader until this month.
McConnell said Hegseth “had failed” to demonstrate he could effectively manage an organization as large and complex as the military. “Mere desire to be a ‘change agent’ is not enough to fill these shoes,” McConnell said in a statement
It was only the second time in recorded history that a cabinet nominee needed a tie-break to be confirmed. The first was Betsy DeVos, a Trump nominee who became secretary of education in 2017.
Yet his supporters also praise his military experience, including his service as an infantry officer in the Army National Guard from 2003 to 2014 and again from 2019 to 2021, when he attained the rank of Major.
He received the Bronze Star in recognition of his work during a combat deployment to Iraq in 2005. In 2014, he voluntarily deployed to war-torn Afghanistan to train the Afghan security forces.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.
FBI Director Kash Patel said Wednesday that federal investigators have identified what he described as substantial funding streams connected to antifa-linked activities, signaling possible new enforcement actions as the bureau deepens its focus on left-wing violence.
Iran has issued a formal aviation warning ahead of what it described as “extensive missile launches,” closing broad sections of its southern airspace on Thursday amid mounting regional tensions.
The United States is assembling its most significant concentration of air power in the Middle East since the 2003 Iraq War, positioning advanced fighter jets, aircraft carriers, and support assets amid rising tensions with Iran.