
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
PORT-AU-PRINCE (Worthy News) – Catholic Church leaders have condemned the perceived inaction by Haiti’s government after two nuns were among five people killed in an attack by a coalition of street gangs.
The March 31 killings of Sisters Jeanne Voltaire and Evanette Onezaire by armed men in Mirebalais occurred when gangs took control of the town, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northeast of the capital city Port-au-Prince, Christians confirmed.
Worthy News learned that the two nuns were members of the Congregation of the Little Sisters of St. Therese of the Child Jesus and were part of the administration of a school named Lucienne Estimé.
“Since March 30, the whole region – which corresponds to the Diocese of Hinche – has been suffering lethal attacks from armed criminals. Many people had to flee the area and leave their homes behind,” said priest Marc-Henry Siméon, the Bishops’ Conference’s spokesman.
With a population of 200,000, Mirebalais has faced repeated gang assaults. The recent offensive is seen as retaliation against the temporary government’s l crackdown on criminal groups. “As in previous instances, gang members stormed the local prison, freeing at least 500 inmates,” Catholic sources said.
Haitian media said that clashes with the National Police resulted in the deaths of roughly 30 gang members.
Mirebalais is a critical location. It is home to the country’s most advanced medical facility, the University Hospital, which provides healthcare to thousands daily.
STRATEGIC POSITION
Additionally, its strategic position at the intersection of Haiti’s two significant roadways—linking the capital to the northern coast and the Dominican Republic—makes it a key target in the ongoing conflict, observers say.
A temporary government known as the Transitional Council was set up amid months of gang violence that the United Nations said killed more than 1,500 and injured 800 people in the first three months of 2024.
Although the U.S.-backed Transitional Council says it aims to restore order and democratic rule, it has been unable to end anti-Christian violence and other attacks, church leaders said.
Its mandate will expire on February 7, 2026, when a new president is due to be sworn in to replace Jovenel Moïse, who was assassinated on July 7, 2021.
Alix Didier Fils-Aimé, who serves as interim prime minister of the Transitional Council, said Haiti has pledged to hold uncontested elections and overcome the political crisis and violence.
However, the United Nations has urged Haiti’s leadership to speed up its transition toward a democratically functioning state, as the violence has even caused famine.
U.N. human rights official William O’Neill said it is difficult to provide aid as “There are currently no safe entry or exit routes to the capital except by helicopter.”
SECURITY DETERIORATING
He noted that “Gangs have seized control of entire neighborhoods, committing acts of murder, rape, and arson against homes, schools, and churches.”
With security deteriorating, thousands took to the streets of Port-au-Prince last week to demand the resignation of the government coalition led by Alix Didier Fils-Aimé, accusing it of failing to secure the country.
Clashes between protesters and police led to further violence, including armed attacks on the Prime Minister’s Office and the Transitional Council headquarters, Catholic sources said.
Despite the protests, killings continue, with U.N. data showing more than 4,200 people have been killed in Haiti between July 2024 and February 2025, while another 6,000 were forced to flee their homes.
One of Haiti’s most powerful gang leaders, Jimmy Chérizier, also known as Barbecue, said he would consider laying down weapons if armed groups were allowed to take part in talks to establish the new government
With the killings of Christians and others continuing, there are mounting calls for international intervention to restore a sense of normalcy in the impoverished nation.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Iran launched live-fire naval exercises in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday, signaling heightened military readiness in one of the world’s most strategically vital waterways as nuclear negotiations with the United States resumed in Europe.
The Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts (CSNTM) has launched a new online Digital Manuscript Collection interface, marking what the organization describes as one of the most significant developments in its history.
The United States and Hungary have concluded 17 agreements covering nuclear energy, oil, and natural gas cooperation as Budapest faces pressure to reduce its reliance on cheap Russian energy.
Christian rights campaigners have welcomed Friday’s landmark decision by Pakistan’s Punjab province to criminalize child marriage by setting 18 as the minimum legal age for marriage. However, the killing of a Pakistani Christian shopkeeper in the same province cast a shadow over the celebrations.
U.S. President Donald Trump announced Sunday that countries participating in his Gaza “Board of Peace” have pledged more than $5 billion toward humanitarian relief and reconstruction efforts in the Gaza Strip, along with committing thousands of personnel to support new security arrangements in the enclave.
An additional 27 members of Venezuelan transnational criminal organizations, Tren de Aragua and its splinter faction, anti-Tren, have been indicted in New York in an ongoing prosecution of groups the Trump administration has designated as foreign terrorist organizations.
Two pastors in eastern Uganda who were reportedly attacked by a group of Muslim extremists have been discharged from a hospital and are continuing to recover at home, Worthy News learned Sunday.