Nearly 2 Trillion Erased In Stocks Within Minutes Over Trump Tariffs

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

NEW YORK/PARIS/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Roughly $1.7 trillion was erased from the S&P 500 Index of the 500 most influential companies at the start of trading at the New York Stock Exchange Thursday amid worries that President Donald J. Trump’s sweeping new round of tariffs could plunge the economy, and much of the world, into a recession.

Financial news agency Bloomberg News reported that the damage was heaviest in companies whose supply chains depend most on overseas manufacturing.

Apple Inc., which makes up most of its US-sold smartphones and other devices in China, was down about 8 percent after the opening. Lululemon Athletica Inc. and Nike Inc., among companies with manufacturing ties to Vietnam, were down around 10 percent. Walmart Inc. and Dollar Tree Inc., retailers whose stores are filled with products sourced outside of the U.S., were trading lower by about 2 percent and around percent, respectively.

Yet long-term investors were expected to see opportunities in the plunging stock markets with shares of major companies trading much cheaper. Gold, mentioned often in Biblical times, has also been trading at record highs, as it is seen as a safe haven in times of crisis.

However, for now, U.S. assets quickly emerged as the biggest losers after the tariffs announcement. The S&P 500 fell about 3 percent, and a dollar gauge slumped.

The impact elsewhere was ‘muted’ in comparison: A broad gauge of Asian stocks fell 0.7 percent, the Stoxx Europe 600 key companies’ index slid 2.6 percent, while the euro currency rose about 2 percent against the U.S. dollar.

Shortly after trillions were erased in stocks worldwide, France’s President Emmanuel Macron called President Donald J. Trump’s tariffs “brutal and unfounded” and even suggested suspending investments in the U.S.

ADDRESSING MEETING

Macron spoke at a hastily arranged meeting of business leaders, discussing how best to protect the French economy following Trump’s tariffs.

He opened by saying that the U.S. president’s decision was “brutal and unfounded,” as he expressed concern about the tariffs’ “massive” impact on France, its overseas territories, and Europe more broadly.

Macron, a key European Union leader, said an answer will need to be found to this move, the latest announcement in what appeared to rapidly escalate into a global trade war.

Trump has vigorously defended his policies, saying that the United States had been “ripped off” by much of the world and that it was now introducing reciprocal tariffs on imported goods.

He also wants to encourage companies to produce in the United States rather than overseas.

However, Macron stressed he agrees with several European Union leaders that
“nothing can be ruled out” in response to Trump’s move as “all instruments are on the table.”

He argued, “We must do whatever is effective and most proportionate … but which also clearly shows we are determined to … not have these sectors fall victim to these tariffs.”

SUSPENDING INVESTMENT

Among available tools, Macon suggested a potential intervention in digital services “where the United States benefits enormously from Europe.”

He also called for the suspension of new and recently announced French investments in the United States until tariffs announced by U.S. President Trump “are clarified.”

Macron told the business leaders at the meeting that continuing with investments while being hit by tariffs would send the wrong message.

France maintained its leading position as the fifth-largest investor in the United States, according to figures provided by the Embassy of France in Washington, D.C.,

In 2023, the French direct investment position in the U.S. reached $370 billion (6.9 percent of total foreign direct investment), up 1 percent in one year, explained data seen by Worthy News.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Senate Republicans Eye Talking Filibuster to Advance SAVE America Act
Senate Republicans Eye Talking Filibuster to Advance SAVE America Act
Monday, February 16, 2026

Senate Republicans say they have enough support within their 53-member conference to pass the SAVE America Act, but overcoming a Democratic blockade may require reviving the rarely used “talking filibuster.”

U.S. Airlifts First Microreactor in Nuclear Deployment Milestone
U.S. Airlifts First Microreactor in Nuclear Deployment Milestone
Monday, February 16, 2026

The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense have transported a small nuclear reactor by military cargo aircraft for the first time, marking a significant milestone in President Donald Trump’s push to expand advanced nuclear energy across the country.

Trump Orders Federal Intervention After Massive Potomac River Sewage Spill
Trump Orders Federal Intervention After Massive Potomac River Sewage Spill
Monday, February 16, 2026

President Donald Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and coordinate cleanup efforts following what he called a “massive ecological disaster” in the Potomac River after a major sewer line collapse in Maryland.

Ancient Second Temple Workshop Uncovered on Mount Scopus After Antiquities Raid
Ancient Second Temple Workshop Uncovered on Mount Scopus After Antiquities Raid
Monday, February 16, 2026

A large Second Temple–era stone workshop that supplied Jerusalem’s Jewish population some 2,000 years ago has been uncovered on the eastern slopes of Mount Scopus, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) announced Monday.

U.S. Orders MOP Bunker-Buster Bombs to Rebuild Stockpile
U.S. Orders MOP Bunker-Buster Bombs to Rebuild Stockpile
Monday, February 16, 2026

The United States has moved to replenish its stockpile of GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bunker-buster bombs, it was revealed this week, as tensions with Tehran remain elevated.

Netanyahu: Hamas Must Surrender All Weapons or Face Renewed War
Netanyahu: Hamas Must Surrender All Weapons or Face Renewed War
Monday, February 16, 2026

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Sunday that Israel will not accept any arrangement allowing Hamas to retain weapons, warning that the terror group must fully disarm or face a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza.

Pentagon to Deploy 200 Troops to Nigeria Amid Escalating Terror Threat
Pentagon to Deploy 200 Troops to Nigeria Amid Escalating Terror Threat
Monday, February 16, 2026

The United States is preparing to deploy roughly 200 American troops to Nigeria in the coming weeks to assist in counterterrorism efforts, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal.