
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
AMSTERDAM (Worthy News) – A knife-wielding assailant in the Dutch capital, Amsterdam, seriously wounded five people in what the government said may have been a deliberate terrorist attack.
The victims were identified as a 67-year-old woman and a 69-year-old man from the United States, a 73-year-old woman from Belgium, a 26-year-old man from Poland and a 19-year-old Dutch woman from Amsterdam.
“This afternoon, five people were injured in a horrific stabbing incident in the city center. Police and emergency services were immediately on the scene. With the help of bystanders, the police were able to quickly arrest a suspect,” said Amsterdam Mayor Femke Halsema after Thursday’s violence.
“The police investigation is in full swing and is currently the top priority. We hope to gain more clarity soon about the background of this horrific stabbing incident. My heart goes out to the victims, their families, and their loved ones,” she added in a statement monitored by Worthy News.
The attack occurred at around 3:30 p.m. local time and lasted several minutes before the assailant was stopped by a passerby near the city’s Dam Square, according to witnesses and officials.
A witness on Dam Square told a reporter that “suddenly, a chilling scream was heard,” after which “some panic” broke out. The suspect in the Amsterdam stabbing appeared confused, according to bystanders. “I heard a scream, and everyone started running,” said a man who was near Dam Square at the time of the stabbings. “People looked around in shock.”
A young woman who witnessed the attack said that this type of violence “happens more often these days, also in other countries.” Visibly shaken, she referred to incidents in Germany in recent months where perpetrators stabbed victims or drove into crowds with a car, which turned out to be terrorist attacks.
RANDOM VICTIMS
Authorities said in a statement that no motive had been established for the attack but that police were considering a scenario where the man targeted victims at random.
However, when pushed by reporters, Dutch Justice Minister David van Weel did not rule out a terrorism investigation would be launched.
Van Weel expressed his appreciation for “the swift action” taken by police.
“They responded incredibly quickly and reacted very effectively. They did a fantastic job,” he recalled.
In Amsterdam, police cordoned off the area, and several ambulances and a trauma helicopter were called to the scene.
Thursday’s attack comes while the European Union is on heightened alert for terror attacks following similar incidents elsewhere, including in Germany.
At least some of the incidents have been linked by anti-Islam parties to the growing number of migrants entering the Netherlands, including many from Muslim-majority nations.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senate Republicans say they have enough support within their 53-member conference to pass the SAVE America Act, but overcoming a Democratic blockade may require reviving the rarely used “talking filibuster.”
The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense have transported a small nuclear reactor by military cargo aircraft for the first time, marking a significant milestone in President Donald Trump’s push to expand advanced nuclear energy across the country.
President Donald Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and coordinate cleanup efforts following what he called a “massive ecological disaster” in the Potomac River after a major sewer line collapse in Maryland.
A large Second Temple–era stone workshop that supplied Jerusalem’s Jewish population some 2,000 years ago has been uncovered on the eastern slopes of Mount Scopus, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) announced Monday.
The United States has moved to replenish its stockpile of GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bunker-buster bombs, it was revealed this week, as tensions with Tehran remain elevated.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Sunday that Israel will not accept any arrangement allowing Hamas to retain weapons, warning that the terror group must fully disarm or face a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza.
The United States is preparing to deploy roughly 200 American troops to Nigeria in the coming weeks to assist in counterterrorism efforts, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal.