Killed Indian Journalist Found In Septic Tank

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

NEW DELHI (Worthy News) – Investigators have found the body of an Indian journalist who went missing on New Year’s Day. Mukesh Chandrakar’s human remains were discovered in a septic tank in India’s Chhattisgarh state, officials said.

Police told media that his body showed signs of “severe injuries” and was discovered in the compound of a road construction contractor in Bijapur on Friday.

Chandrakar reported on corruption and the Maoist rebellion in the mineral-rich state and ran the popular YouTube video-sharing site channel Bastar Junction.

Chandrakar’s death sparked protests by journalists in the country amid broader concerns about high-level corruption and pressure on critical reporters in India.

The Press Council of India, the self-regulatory watchdog of the press, has demanded a report “on the facts of the case” from the state government.

Chhattisgarh Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sharma pledged that a special investigation team (SIT) had been formed to probe Mukesh’s death, leading to the detention of three suspects.

However, on Tuesday, the compound owner was believed to be still on the run.

The key suspect was said to have political connections, but according to Indian media, both the Congress Party and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) have denied that he belongs to them.

Vishnu Deo Sai, chief minister of Chhattisgarh from the ruling BJP, described Chandrakar’s death as “heartbreaking” and promised the “harshest punishment” for those found responsible.

Yet the case has raised questions about journalists’ safety. Last year, India ranked 159th on the World Press Freedom Index, which is run by the Reporters Without Borders advocacy group.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
Friday, February 20, 2026

Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”

British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
Friday, February 20, 2026

British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Friday, February 20, 2026

Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.

U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.

Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.

Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.