
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
NEW YORK/BEIJING/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Stock futures rose in after-hours trading Monday with investors preparing to pick up cheap shares after the carnage linked to the tariffs announced by U.S. President Donald J. Trump.
Contracts tied to the Dow industrials, the S&P 500, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq-100 indexes in New York gained more than 1 percent. It came despite China threatening to retaliate against the U.S. if President Trump raises the tariff on Chinese goods by an additional 50 percent.
In Asia, where many economies are highly trade-reliant, Japanese stocks rose more than 5 percent after a widespread selloff on Monday.
In Europe, the Stoxx Europe 600 index sank 4.5 percent, while Bitcoin and oil prices also fell.
Yet the sudden rise in at least some stocks suggested investors were prepared to move in to pick up more affordable stocks despite Beijing threatening to target the U.S. with more tariffs.
China, the world’s second-largest economy, said it was furious that President Trump may carry out his threat to raise the tariff on Chinese goods by an additional 50 percent.
CHINA COUNTERMEASSURES
On Tuesday, a statement from the Ministry of Commerce said that if the U.S. escalates tariffs, “China will resolutely take countermeasures to safeguard its own rights and interests.”
Previously, China announced a blanket 34 percent tariff on American goods, matching the level of Trump’s April 2 tariff on Chinese imports.
“The U.S. threat to escalate tariffs on China is a mistake on top of a mistake, which once again exposes the U.S.’s blackmail nature,” the commerce ministry added. “If the U.S. insists on its own way, China will fight to the end.”
Yet in Washington, a defiant Trump said he would not remove his tariffs on Chinese goods.
In a message on his Truth Social media platform, Trump warned that “any country that Retaliates against the U.S. by issuing additional Tariffs, above and beyond their already existing long term Tariff abuse of our Nation, will be immediately met with new and substantially higher Tariffs, over and above those initially set.”
He added, “Therefore, if China does not withdraw its 34 percent increase above their already long-term trading abuses by tomorrow, April 8th, 2025, the United States will impose ADDITIONAL Tariffs on China of 50 percent effective April 9th.”
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
The United States and Hungary have concluded 17 agreements covering nuclear energy, oil, and natural gas cooperation as Budapest faces pressure to reduce its reliance on cheap Russian energy.
Christian rights campaigners have welcomed Friday’s landmark decision by Pakistan’s Punjab province to criminalize child marriage by setting 18 as the minimum legal age for marriage. However, the killing of a Pakistani Christian shopkeeper in the same province cast a shadow over the celebrations.
U.S. President Donald Trump announced Sunday that countries participating in his Gaza “Board of Peace” have pledged more than $5 billion toward humanitarian relief and reconstruction efforts in the Gaza Strip, along with committing thousands of personnel to support new security arrangements in the enclave.
An additional 27 members of Venezuelan transnational criminal organizations, Tren de Aragua and its splinter faction, anti-Tren, have been indicted in New York in an ongoing prosecution of groups the Trump administration has designated as foreign terrorist organizations.
Two pastors in eastern Uganda who were reportedly attacked by a group of Muslim extremists have been discharged from a hospital and are continuing to recover at home, Worthy News learned Sunday.
Western leaders sought to project unity at the 2026 Munich Security Conference despite tensions over U.S. interest in acquiring Greenland, differences on ending the war in Ukraine, and questions surrounding the future of transatlantic cooperation.
The Pentagon is deploying the Navy’s largest and most advanced aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, to the Middle East as the United States intensifies preparations for potential military action against Iran.