
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
DAMASCUS (Worthy News) – Investigators revealed Tuesday that hundreds of thousands of Syrians who were “tortured to death by Bashar al-Assad’s regime” are believed to be burried in mass graves, including near Syria’s capital, Damascus.
Since the Syrian president fled to Russia this month, more details are emerging about the alleged atrocities committed by Assad and his inner circle against perceived opponents.
In one mass grave site in the city of Qutayfah, about 45 kilometers (28 miles) from Damascus, trenches are marked 6-7 meters (19-23 feet) deep, 3-4 meters wide, and 50-150 meters long.
Here alone, hundreds of thousands of bodies of people could be buried in a mass grave, according to Mouaz Moustafa, executive director of the US-based Syrian Emergency Task Force (SETF), an anti-Assad advocacy group.
After years of work to expose mass graves, Moustafa told media that he’s finally been able to visit the suspected site after Assad’s fall.
Al-Qutayfah, located about an hour northeast of Damascus, had just under 27,000 residents during the last census in 2004.
GRIM SECRET
These residents harbored a grim secret: Al-Qutayfah is the site of one of the mass graves where opponents of the Assad regime were buried.
He said the grave contains a minimum of 100,000 bodies.
A Worthy News estimate suggested the actual figure could be higher.
Gravediggers who worked at the site reportedly said that “four tractor-trailer trucks, each carrying over 150 bodies in each, came twice a week from 2012 until 2018.”
That would amount to hundreds of thousands of bodies. “The 100,000 is a very conservative estimate,” Moustafa said. “It’s an extremely low, almost unfairly conservative figure.”
And Al-Qutayfah is not the only site. Moustafa and his organization have identified four additional locations that are also believed to be mass graves.
MORE RESEARCH
Worthy News learned these sites were uncovered using satellite imagery and other investigative methods.
Further research is required to determine how many victims are buried there, according to investigators.
The investigation at Al-Qutayfah has already begun. Many of the remains unearthed so far showed clear signs of torture, Moustafa said.
“Imagine pulling the fingernails from the hands of babies, imagine drilling into someone’s kneecap, imagine cutting open an elderly person and pouring salt into their wounds. This is how these people were killed. It’s a slaughterhouse, a killing machine.”
In recent days, Syrians have been seen digging with their bare hands, desperately searching for the remains of their loved ones as well as answers for one of the darkest chapters in their nation’s recent history.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”
British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.