
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – Hezbollah, the Iranian backed terrorist group is struggling to fulfill its financial commitments to its followers. The U.S.-designated terrorist organization, Hezbollah acts as a quasi-government in Lebanon, providing jobs and services and compensating families of fighters and others affected by conflict, however the recent war’s financial burden has put these payments at risk, according to a new report by the Wall Street Journal (WSJ).
The World Bank estimated in November that damages to physical structures from the conflict total $3.4 billion, affecting approximately 100,000 homes. Additionally, widows and families of deceased members require assistance, and the wounded need medical care and ongoing financial support.
Hezbollah’s financial troubles are deepening as Lebanon’s new U.S.-backed government works to curb the flow of funds from Iran, the group’s primary financial supporter. This move is part of a broader strategy to limit Hezbollah’s influence and operational capacity in the region.
Additionally, the collapse of the Assad regime in Syria has dealt a significant blow to Hezbollah. This change has severed a critical conduit for weapons and financial support, disrupting a longstanding alliance between Syria, Hezbollah, and Tehran. This has further complicated Hezbollah’s ability to maintain its operations and fulfill its financial commitments.
“Hezbollah no longer has the cash to compensate its constituents,” stated Lina Khatib, an associate fellow at Chatham House told the WSJ. She added that loyalty to the group “is likely to wane in the long term when Hezbollah’s constituents realize that it can no longer offer them financial, political, or security benefits.”
Since the late-November cease-fire, Hezbollah has been reorganizing and assessing the damage. An official from Al-Qard Al-Hassan, Hezbollah’s quasi-bank, stated that the group has evaluated hundreds of thousands of homes and distributed $630 million to those affected by home losses or damages. Each affected individual receives $12,000 to $14,000 annually for rent, plus additional payments for furniture.
However, locals have reported issues with these compensations. They claim that Al-Qard Al-Hassan has recently halted payments on previously issued compensation checks, and some members have received no support whatsoever. Further compounding the issue, a Wall Street Journal report reveals that many are experiencing delays in receiving these funds, with some still awaiting reimbursement for homes and businesses lost in the conflict with Israel.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Tensions over oil deliveries to Central and Eastern Europe escalated Tuesday after Croatia cautioned against supplying Russian crude to Hungary and Slovakia amid a widening dispute over halted pipeline flows.
A wastewater overflow tied to the collapse of a major sewer pipeline continues to prompt responses from officials in Virginia, Maryland and Washington as repair work advances along the Potomac River.
New York Sen. Chuck Schumer has filed a bill to give the pride flag the same legal standing as the U.S. flag and military banners.
Israeli police announced Monday they will deploy heavily around the Temple Mount compound throughout the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing new restrictions at the sensitive Jerusalem site.
U.S. Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that the second round of nuclear negotiations with Tehran yielded “some progress,” but cautioned that Iran has yet to acknowledge or work through key American red lines set by President Donald Trump.
The United States has surged more than 50 fighter jets to the Middle East over the past 24 hours, according to open-source flight tracking data and confirmation from a U.S. official, as Washington and Tehran conduct a second round of nuclear negotiations in Geneva, Switzerland.
U.S. Southern Command announced strikes on three suspected drug boats in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean.