
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – U.S. billionaire Bill Gates, whose foundation supports the development of vaccines, has warned of a new global pandemic that could wipe out more than 10 percent of the world’s population of over 8 billion people.
“The [recent] COVID-19 pandemic killed 1 percent, that’s millions of people. The next one can kill greater than 10 percent,” more than 800 million people, he told prominent journalist Katie Couric in a live-streamed interview at the famed Strand Bookstore in New York City.
“We should be prepared for the next pandemic; the next pandemic could be far worse,” Gates stressed in remarks reviewed by Worthy News on Wednesday.
His Gates Foundation backed the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines, which critics claim have, at least in some cases, caused more harm than good.
However, Gates told Couric, “The [COVID-19] vaccine saved millions of lives. [U.S.] President [Donald J.] Trump was the one that accelerated the availability of that vaccine.”
Trump previously dismissed claims that COVID-19 vaccines are broadly unsafe while asserting that his role in the development of the jabs may have “saved 100 million lives.”
MILLIONS IMPACTED
Gates, 69, made clear that he hopes the current Trump administration would not abandon the world’s most vulnerable people
There is concern within the Gates Foundation that Trump’s recent freeze on foreign aid halted funding for HIV/AIDS disease programs, potentially impacting the health of over 20 million people, including 500,000 children.
Although subsequent waivers from the U.S. State Department reportedly enabled some work to continue, funding and legal approvals remain stalled.
Gates and Couric suggested that without treatment, “millions” face severe illness or premature death and threaten to undo “years of progress” against HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, a potentially deadly disease.
They fear it could potentially foster drug-resistant strains – “an outcome with global repercussions,” including in the United States.
Trump said that the winding down of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) targets non-essential “woke” programs and that necessary aid will eventually continue.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
The United States is withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria, ending a decade-long military campaign against the Islamic State, according to a Wall Street Journal exclusive citing American officials.
The Justice Department has issued a fresh round of subpoenas in a Florida-based investigation examining the origins and conduct of the federal government’s 2016 Russia inquiry — a probe that shadowed President Donald Trump for years and fueled deep divisions across the nation.
The White House is heralding a better-than-expected jobs report as one of the first signs of what it says will be a “record successful year” in 2026, after a year of stalled jobs growth.
As Ramadan, deemed a holy month by Muslims, began Wednesday, advocates warned that Christians and other religious minorities in parts of South Asia face potentially deadly consequences from blasphemy accusations amplified by social media and mob violence.
Satellite imagery reviewed by analysts indicates Iran has advanced fortification work at several sensitive military and nuclear-linked sites, including the Parchin military complex and the Isfahan Nuclear Technology Center, according to a Reuters report. The developments come as Washington seeks a negotiated nuclear agreement with Tehran while warning that military options remain on the table if diplomacy fails.
A military confrontation between the United States and Iran could erupt within days and develop into a sustained, multi-week campaign, according to multiple sources cited Wednesday, even as diplomatic talks continue between Washington and Tehran.
Israel is expected to begin operational deployment of the Arrow 4 missile defense system in the coming months, marking a significant upgrade to the nation’s multi-layered air defense network, according to Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) President and CEO Boaz Levy.