Explosions Rock Dutch Flats, Killing Five; Police Searching For Suspects

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS (Worthy News) – At least five people died, and four others were injured in explosions rocking a block of flats in the Dutch city of The Hague, and local authorities did not rule out a deliberate attack.

Firefighters and special rescue teams with dogs rushed to the burning three-story building in the Tarwekamp area following the blasts that caused the collapse of several homes.

Amid a frantic search for survivors, Dutch police said a car drove away “at very high speed” shortly after the explosions and appealed for witnesses.

The Hague’s Mayor, Jan van Zanen, said the number of people still missing is unknown.

Van Zanen, who visited the scene, said the chance of survivors being pulled from the rubble was slim and urged residents to prepare for a “worst-case scenario.”

It was thought up to 20 people may have been in the flats at the time of the blast, but the mayor refused to confirm those figures.

Dutch King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima expressed their sorrow in a statement: “We sympathize with all those who have been personally affected or who fear for the fate of their loved ones.”

PULLING BODIES

The Dutch fire service said five bodies had been pulled from the rubble. Four others were hospitalized – one of whom had since died, it said.

It added that another person was treated by the ambulance service before being taken to a shelter, bringing the total number of victims to 10.

Witnesses said at least five flats were destroyed in the explosion.

Survivors appeared in shock at what they saw. Fourteen-year-old Adam Muller said the explosion “felt like an earthquake.”

“I was asleep, and suddenly, there were these huge bangs. I looked out of the window and just saw flames. It’s a massive shock,” he added.

The national police commissioner in the Netherlands, Janny Knol, shared those sentiments: “There is disbelief and uncertainty in the community.”

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
European Spy Chiefs Doubt 2026 Ukraine Peace Deal Despite Trump Optimism
Friday, February 20, 2026

Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”

British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
British Police Detain Ex-Prince Andrew Over Epstein Ties And Raid Royal Properties
Friday, February 20, 2026

British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Minor Christian Girl Abducted In Pakistan After Child Marriage Ban Signed Into Law (Worthy News Investigation)
Friday, February 20, 2026

Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.

U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
U.S. Trade Deficit Remains Near Record High as Imports Surge Despite Tariffs
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
U.K. Blocks U.S. Use of Key Bases for Potential Strikes on Iran
Thursday, February 19, 2026

The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.

Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Trump Launches ‘Board of Peace’ as $17 Billion Pledged for Gaza, Decision on Iran Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.

Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran as Nuclear Deadline Looms
Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.