
By Morgan Sweeney | The Center Square
(Worthy News) – The U.S. Supreme Court ruled against the Trump administration in a 5-4 decision to uphold a federal judge’s court order to pay $2 billion in foreign aid for work that’s already been done.
Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Amy Coney Barrett ruled against the administration with Biden-appointed Justice Ketanji Brown and Obama-appointed Justices Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor – even though Roberts had paused the order days earlier for the administration. Conservative Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh dissented from the decision.
A lawsuit was quickly brought against the administration when it moved to broadly suspend foreign aid after Trump took office. The United States District Court for the District of Columbia initially entered a temporary restraining order against the administration’s halting of funds. On Feb. 25, the district court ordered the government to issue payments specifically for work that had already been done. Roberts granted an administrative stay requested by the administration, but has now vacated that order.
The lead attorney for the plaintiffs, Lauren Batemen of the Public Citizen Litigation Group, issued a statement after Wednesday’s Supreme Court ruling.
“Today’s ruling by the Supreme Court confirms that the Administration cannot ignore the law,” Bateman said. “To stop needless suffering and death, the government must now comply with the order issued three weeks ago to lift its unlawful termination of federal assistance.”
Alito wrote he was “stunned” by those on the court who upheld the district court’s order.
“Does a single district-court judge who likely lacks jurisdiction have the unchecked power to compel the Government of the United States to pay out (and probably lose forever) 2 billion taxpayer dollars?” he wrote. “The answer to that question should be an emphatic ‘No,’ but a majority of this Court apparently thinks otherwise. I am stunned.”
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
New York Sen. Chuck Schumer has filed a bill to give the pride flag the same legal standing as the U.S. flag and military banners.
Israeli police announced Monday they will deploy heavily around the Temple Mount compound throughout the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing new restrictions at the sensitive Jerusalem site.
U.S. Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that the second round of nuclear negotiations with Tehran yielded “some progress,” but cautioned that Iran has yet to acknowledge or work through key American red lines set by President Donald Trump.
The United States has surged more than 50 fighter jets to the Middle East over the past 24 hours, according to open-source flight tracking data and confirmation from a U.S. official, as Washington and Tehran conduct a second round of nuclear negotiations in Geneva, Switzerland.
U.S. Southern Command announced strikes on three suspected drug boats in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean.
Russia said Tuesday that its air defenses shot down more than 150 Ukrainian drones overnight, as delegations from Kyiv and Moscow gathered in Geneva for U.S.-backed peace talks aimed at ending Europe’s deadliest conflict since World War II.
A series of alleged attacks and harassment targeting Christian communities in Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province, including at least one fatal assault, has raised renewed concern about the safety of religious minorities, advocacy group LEAD Ministries said.