
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
BEIJING/WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – Investigations into a significant security breach were ongoing Tuesday after China-backed experts allegedly managed to hack the U.S. Treasury Department’s computers, “stealing” documents in what officials called a “major incident.”
In a letter to legislators, the Treasury Department acknowledged that Chinese state-sponsored hackers “compromised” third-party cybersecurity service provider BeyondTrust and were able to access “unclassified documents.”
Hackers “gained access to a key used by the vendor to secure a cloud-based service used to remotely provide technical support for Treasury Departmental Offices (DO) end users,” the letter said.
With access to “the stolen key,” the “threat actor was able to override the service’s security, remotely access certain Treasury DO user workstations, and access certain unclassified documents maintained by those users.”
Officials said the hack is being treated as a “major cybersecurity incident” in an ongoing investigation.
According to sources familiar with the case, the U.S. Government initially became aware of the alleged cyber attack on December 8, after hackers were said to have compromised a third-party software provider.
The alleged Chinese involvement in accessing computers in the heart of the U.S. government comes amid broader concerns about China’s alleged increased spying activities in the United States.
In September earlier this year, the U.S. Justice Department said it combatted a cyberattack network that plagued 200,000 devices internationally, claiming that hackers supported by Beijing allegedly ran it.
Additionally, in February, U.S. officials reportedly announced they had dismantled “Volt Typhoon,” a network of hackers believed to have been active since 2021 and are known to target American infrastructure, including water treatment plants and transport systems.
China did not immediately comment on the latest findings, but they were expected to increase pressure on U.S. President-elect Donald J. Trump to deal with Beijing following his inauguration on January 20.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Senior European intelligence officials see little chance of ending Russia’s war in Ukraine this year, despite President Donald J. Trump’s claim that U.S.-brokered negotiations have brought a peace deal “reasonably close.”
British police raided two properties linked to former Prince Andrew on Thursday and detained the 66-year-old royal on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating scrutiny over his past association with the late U.S. financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Christians in Pakistan’s Punjab province were searching Thursday for an abducted minor girl, days after the provincial governor signed legislation raising the legal marriage age to 18 and criminalizing child marriage as a non-bailable offense.
The U.S. trade deficit edged slightly lower in 2025 but remained the third-largest on record, underscoring the scale of America’s global trade imbalance even amid sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The United Kingdom will not allow the Pentagon to use British-controlled bases to launch potential military strikes against Iran, according to a report by The Times of London.
President Donald Trump on Thursday unveiled what he called a historic new diplomatic framework — the “Board of Peace” — during an inaugural meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace, announcing billions in pledges for Gaza reconstruction and signaling that a major decision on Iran could come within days.
President Donald Trump is weighing an initial, limited military strike on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to meet U.S. demands for a comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Wall Street Journal reported.