
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
SKOPJE/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – At least 59 people were killed and more than 100 injured after a fire engulfed a nightclub in North Macedonia, authorities confirmed, adding that arrest warrants were issued for four people
Officials said Sunday that some 155 injured people had been taken to hospitals across the country, 18 of them in critical condition.
Some of the serious cases were to be taken to other European countries for treatment.
The blaze started in the Club Pulse in the eastern town of Kocani around 3:00 am local time as the place was packed with up to 1,500 mostly young fans attending a concert by a popular hip-hop duo called DNK.
“Initially, we didn’t believe there was a fire. Then there was huge panic in the crowd and a stampede to get out,” said one young woman who was at the concert.
She spoke outside a hospital in Skopje where several injured people were treated.
PYROTECHNIC DEVICES
Interior Minister Pance Toskovski said the worst fire in the country’s recent history was caused by “pyrotechnic devices” used during the concert.
Footage showed a band performing on stage, flanked by two torches shooting white sparks into the air.
Witnesses said the sparks ignited the ceiling above the band, which appeared to step away as the video cut off.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze at the charred and smoking entrance.
The interior ministry announced that arrest warrants had been issued for four people in relation to the tragedy, and a criminal investigation opened.
They did not immediately give further details about those targeted by the warrants.
MANY KILLED
“According to the information that we have, there are 59 persons deceased, of which 35 are identified,” Toskovski told reporters.
“Of the identified, 31 persons are from Kocani and four from Stip,” the minister added.
“The number of wounded, according to the latest information up to noon, is 155 persons who are in hospitals across the country,” Toskovski explained.
“Preparations are being made to transport people seriously injured in the fire in Kocani to top hospitals in several European countries,” the head of North Macedonia’s Crisis Centre, Stojanche Angelov, said.
Worthy News learned that the incident comes at a time of concern over corruption in the Balkans, which sometimes leads to the disregard or lack of safety regulations.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Reverend Jesse Jackson, the influential civil rights campaigner and former presidential hopeful described by his family as “a servant leader,” has died at age 84.
Senate Republicans say they have enough support within their 53-member conference to pass the SAVE America Act, but overcoming a Democratic blockade may require reviving the rarely used “talking filibuster.”
The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense have transported a small nuclear reactor by military cargo aircraft for the first time, marking a significant milestone in President Donald Trump’s push to expand advanced nuclear energy across the country.
President Donald Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and coordinate cleanup efforts following what he called a “massive ecological disaster” in the Potomac River after a major sewer line collapse in Maryland.
A large Second Temple–era stone workshop that supplied Jerusalem’s Jewish population some 2,000 years ago has been uncovered on the eastern slopes of Mount Scopus, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) announced Monday.
The United States has moved to replenish its stockpile of GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bunker-buster bombs, it was revealed this week, as tensions with Tehran remain elevated.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Sunday that Israel will not accept any arrangement allowing Hamas to retain weapons, warning that the terror group must fully disarm or face a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza.