Argentina To Open Nazi Archives

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

BUENOS AIRES/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Survivors of the Holocaust will soon learn more about their painful past after Argentina’s president ordered the opening of all archives about Nazi fugitives who settled in Argentina following World War II.

President Javier Milei’s decision to declassify the government’s Nazi documents came after he met with U.S. Senator Steve Daines, Worthy News learned Wednesday.

Daines asked the president to disclose information about the period when Argentina provided shelter to Nazis fleeing Germany after the war.

Milei had already pledged to grant access to documents related to the financing of escape routes, the so-called “ratlines,” that helped Nazis escape Europe after the Holocaust.

“There are still unpublished documents about the Nazis’ banking and financial operations,” Francos admitted. “Milei has ordered the release of all available information across all state agencies. The most significant files are likely in the Defense Ministry. There is no reason to keep these details hidden.”

In February, Milei already promised officials of the Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Center access to the documents during a meeting at the presidential palace in Buenos Aires.

THOUSANDS ESCAPED

For decades, organizations, including the Wiesenthal Center, named after the famed Nazi hunter, have sought records related to unofficial escape routes taken by thousands of Nazis during the years after World War II.

Milei’s decision came after he met with U.S. Senator Steve Daines, who requested that the president disclose information about the period when Argentina provided shelter to Nazis fleeing Germany after the war.

Up to 10,000 Nazis and other fascist war criminals escaped justice by fleeing to Argentina and other countries, according to investigators.

Several other countries in the Americas received Nazis, including Canada, the United States and Mexico.

Nazis also fled to Australia, Spain, and Switzerland. In some controversial cases, U.S. intelligence officials used plucked top Nazi scientists away from Soviet orbits, according to Israeli sources.

Not all escaped justice: In May 1960, Israeli intelligence agents kidnapped Adolf Eichmann, one of the major organizers of the Holocaust, in which at least six million Jews died, as well as others the Nazis didn’t like.

DEATH SENTENCE

On December 15, 1961, an Israeli court in Jerusalem sentenced Adolf Eichmann to death for crimes against the Jewish people and crimes against humanity.

The verdict followed a dramatic months-long trial in which Holocaust survivors gave powerful testimony about their experiences, and Israeli prosecutors pushed for the conviction of the former SS officer who sent millions of Jews to their deaths during World War II.

Efraim Zuroff, director of the Simon Wiesenthal Center’s Jerusalem office, believes it’s never too late for justice, even if Nazis may be in their late 90s or even older.

“Think of someone at the height of his physical powers who was devoting all his energy to the mass murder of innocent people,” he told a Worthy News reporter earlier.

“Old age should not offer protection to people who committed such heinous crimes,” Zuroff stressed.

Zuroff says many Holocaust victims never had the opportunity to become old and frail because they were murdered in Auschwitz and other Nazi death camps.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Senate Republicans Eye Talking Filibuster to Advance SAVE America Act
Senate Republicans Eye Talking Filibuster to Advance SAVE America Act
Monday, February 16, 2026

Senate Republicans say they have enough support within their 53-member conference to pass the SAVE America Act, but overcoming a Democratic blockade may require reviving the rarely used “talking filibuster.”

U.S. Airlifts First Microreactor in Nuclear Deployment Milestone
U.S. Airlifts First Microreactor in Nuclear Deployment Milestone
Monday, February 16, 2026

The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense have transported a small nuclear reactor by military cargo aircraft for the first time, marking a significant milestone in President Donald Trump’s push to expand advanced nuclear energy across the country.

Trump Orders Federal Intervention After Massive Potomac River Sewage Spill
Trump Orders Federal Intervention After Massive Potomac River Sewage Spill
Monday, February 16, 2026

President Donald Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and coordinate cleanup efforts following what he called a “massive ecological disaster” in the Potomac River after a major sewer line collapse in Maryland.

Ancient Second Temple Workshop Uncovered on Mount Scopus After Antiquities Raid
Ancient Second Temple Workshop Uncovered on Mount Scopus After Antiquities Raid
Monday, February 16, 2026

A large Second Temple–era stone workshop that supplied Jerusalem’s Jewish population some 2,000 years ago has been uncovered on the eastern slopes of Mount Scopus, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) announced Monday.

U.S. Orders MOP Bunker-Buster Bombs to Rebuild Stockpile
U.S. Orders MOP Bunker-Buster Bombs to Rebuild Stockpile
Monday, February 16, 2026

The United States has moved to replenish its stockpile of GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) bunker-buster bombs, it was revealed this week, as tensions with Tehran remain elevated.

Netanyahu: Hamas Must Surrender All Weapons or Face Renewed War
Netanyahu: Hamas Must Surrender All Weapons or Face Renewed War
Monday, February 16, 2026

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Sunday that Israel will not accept any arrangement allowing Hamas to retain weapons, warning that the terror group must fully disarm or face a renewed Israeli military campaign in Gaza.

Pentagon to Deploy 200 Troops to Nigeria Amid Escalating Terror Threat
Pentagon to Deploy 200 Troops to Nigeria Amid Escalating Terror Threat
Monday, February 16, 2026

The United States is preparing to deploy roughly 200 American troops to Nigeria in the coming weeks to assist in counterterrorism efforts, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal.